Studying for a job that doesn’t exist… Yet!

Back
Posted
July 15, 2015
Author
Sam Findlay
Share

Students started a new degree at the University of Wollongong this week, for a future job that probably doesn’t exist yet, in a field that’s set to take off.

Jeremy Dinoro and Malachy Maher (pictured from left) are part of a world-first Master of Philosophy in BioFabrication, a degree to award qualifications in both Australia and Europe.

Where the degree will lead, is yet to be determined.

The field of biofabrication is an emerging one in which a connection is made between medicine and technology. Think – prosthetic limbs controlled by thought alone, and bionic implants to restore lost senses, and of course – 3D printing of human organs.

One possible job description – biomedical engineer – is already taking off in the US. In fact, in 2012, Forbes rated biomedical engineer number one on their list of 15 most valuable college majors, and in the same year, CNN called it the “best job in America”.

Science graduate Malachy Maher moved from Brisbane to take part in the course, which he hopes will help him contribute to the area of biofabrication in the future.

“My future job most probably doesn’t exist at the moment but with the solid foundation and skills that I will acquire from this degree, I know that I will be more than capable to tackle the challenges that this rapidly evolving field produces,” Malachy said.

Professor Gordon Wallace from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Electromaterials Science, through which the course is run, said the degree would provide participants with highly sought-after, internationally recognised skills in biofabrication.

“Graduates of the program will have an international network, a track-record of collaboration with the world’s leading bionics, fabrication and bio-ethics experts and an appreciation of all the processes involved in taking an idea through to commercial reality,” he said.

For student Jeremy Dinoro, the unknown is part of the attraction.

“I can say with confidence that I will finish the course with a commercially viable skill set and opportunities will be plentiful,” he said.

“I can see things moving very fast in the next few years and I cannot wait to see where it will take me.

Pictured: Jeremy Dinoro (left) and Malachy Maher

Who we collaborate with

Follow Us

For more from the ARC Centre of Excellence for Electromaterial Science, follow us on your favourite platform.